Paddy Power

Paddy Power pay pernicious €100k pants penalty

by Aidan Elder | June 19, 2012
Nicklas Bendtner

IN THE KNICKER TIME: Paddy Power will pay Nicklas Bendtner’s €100,000 fine (picture: Getty)

You may have noticed that, after solving all the social, political and race issues surrounding Euro 2012, UEFA set their sights on the real issue of Euro 2012 – Nicklas Bendtner’s underpants. The Dane celebrated his second goal against Portugal on Wednesday last by revealing a pair of much coveted Paddy Power Lucky Pants, much to the disapproval of the UEFA suits munching on their caviar sandwiches up in the corporate boxes.

On Monday, Europe’s governing body for football announced that Bendtner was going to be on the receiving end of a mind-bogglingly severe €100,000 fine and one-game ban. There was jaw-dropping disbelief when the penalty was revealed, particularly considering the minuscule fines handed out by UEFA for significantly more serious transgressions in recent history. Among the dismay from fans and journalists alike, both England international Rio Ferdinand and famous crisp-flogger Gary Lineker expressed their shock at the severity of Bendtner’s punishment.

We can’t do anything about UEFA’s chilled-out attitude to racism or political oppression, but we can do something about the Pantsgate. We’ve decided to foot the bill for the fine. Paddy Power are paying Bendtner’s massively over the top €100,000 fine.

Ken Robertson, Paddy Power’s Head of Mischief explained: “We pride ourselves on listening to our customers and what we heard loud and clear yesterday was that Nicklas Bendtner should not suffer as a result of UEFA’s double standards. We don’t believe that Nicklas should be penalised for nothing more serious than wearing his lucky underpants which in fairness was only a bit of fun.”

Paddy Power are also issuing an alert to all other players intending to wear their own lucky underpants in the remaining UEFA fixtures to keep the string tied tightly on their shorts so that they too don’t face the wrath of the over the top UEFA pants police.

Crime and Punishment? UEFA’s patchy record of penalties

Euro 2012 – Russian FA fined £96,000 for fan violence ahead of the game with Poland
Euro 2012 – Croatia fined £20,000 for pitch invader, throwing missiles and lighting of flares
Euro 2012 – Germany fined £8,000 for fans throwing missiles onto the pitch v Portugal
Euro 2012 – Portuguese FA fined £4,000 for delaying the start of the second half v Germany
2012 – Porto fined £16,700 for racist incidents
2008 – Croatia fined £10,000 for racist incidents
2007 – Serbia fined £16,500 for racist incidents
2004 – Spain fined £45,000 for racist incidents

Your comments and views

12 Comments

1. Judge D said on June 19, 2012 @ 2:05 pm

Head of Mischief? PLEASE tell me that’s his actual job title and he has a business card to prove it.

2. mark said on June 19, 2012 @ 2:10 pm

Great piece of orchestrated advertising and so well stage managed guys ! all for just €100,000. What a bargain ! I just can’t believe that they played right into your hands. You can recoup the money by selling millions of pairs of pants now.

3. Klaus Henriksen, greenland said on June 19, 2012 @ 4:01 pm

Good gesture from your bettingguys. I have just open an account with you in support even though I have to change my money from kr. to sterling :-)

4. dave said on June 19, 2012 @ 4:15 pm

crazy fine!! well done for paying it – no doubt you gained more revenue from the stunt but good on you :)

5. Mark said on June 19, 2012 @ 5:13 pm

Please can I have a pair of paddy power lucky pants!?

6. Jack Avery said on June 19, 2012 @ 5:55 pm

Please can I have a pair of the lucky boxers! I have been a Paddy Power member for nearly a year and spent £100s on bets! I believe Paddy Power is the best bookmakers in the country so please send me a pair of lucky boxers!

7. Paul said on June 19, 2012 @ 8:07 pm

Please can I have a pair of Paddy Power Lucky Pants

8. Marty Dorrian said on June 19, 2012 @ 10:03 pm

I too would love a pair of your now infamous lucky pants, as i need something to help change my fortunes,plus i have sold all my pants on ebay to pay for my habit of backing the better football team and then watch them get beat…oh the joy!

9. Olli said on June 19, 2012 @ 10:25 pm

Hello, please tell me, if i can have one of these boxers or where i can order these Thank you!

10. Chris said on June 20, 2012 @ 12:22 am

Can I have some lucky Power Paddy boxers as well pretty please?

11. Clare Hicks said on June 20, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

I think all online members should get a free pant!!!!!!

12. Jack said on June 24, 2012 @ 5:02 pm

I would really love a pair of lucky pants as I need some help playing in the Sunday Blast in Paddy Power Poker next week :/