The Paddy Power Blog presents the best of the reaction to Everton’s 1-0 win on Monday night over Manchester United at Goodison Park.
“I thought we played ever so well. We had to dig deep at times, but you saw the pressure we had and the saves David de Gea had to make.
“Marouane Fellaini is good wherever he plays. I think Manchester United not having all their centre-halves available made it a different game. But he scored from a set play, and you will see a lot of that in the Premier League this season.
“Everyone thinks Robin van Persie is an out-and-out centre forward, because he had that great season for Arsenal, but I’m not sure that’s his best position.
“I think he’s better as a number 10, off a main striker, and I think that’s where he was trying to play when he came on.”
- Former Everton player Pat Nevin on BBC Radio 5 live reckons there’s more to RVP than taking corners.
“It was a good goal, it was a good cross, a good corner. It was good for me and for Everton.”
- Man of the match Marouane Fellaini reckons it was good.
“We played around him too much, we didn’t show enough penetration and, with Robin in your team, you know you want to use his ability against centre-backs in situations he is very good at. But we didn’t use him enough.”
- Manchester United Alex Ferguson on Robin Van Persie’s impact, or lack of impact, at Goodison Park. Although Fergie failed to blame himself for not giving RVP more than 20-odd minutes.
“He is a handful, a big, tall, gangly lad, and they just lumped the ball forward to him, that’s all they did.”
- Ferguson pays, ahem, tribute to Fellaini and Everton.
“Wonder if that little child inside Van Persie is currently screaming: ‘AAAGGHH! Why did join this mediocre shower?” #Benchwarmer
- Media personality Piers Morgan, from the safety of his Twitter machine.
“I don’t think anybody tonight was considering Everton at all. A lot of people forgot Everton aren’t a bad team, and Goodison is a difficult place to come and win.”
- Everton manager David Moyes as his side aim to infiltrate the precious top four. If only til Christmas.